Five ways to show your pet you love them on Valentine’s Day (and on National Love Your Pet Day, which is Feb. 20)
FORT WORTH, Texas (PRNewswire) — With both Valentine’s Day and National Love Your Pet Day falling this month (on Feb. 20), Dr. Jen Kasten, technical services veterinarian at Tomlyn Veterinary Science, shares five fun ways to show your cat or dog extra love.
“Our pets are our daily companions and there are plenty of ways to make them feel extra special,” said Dr. Kasten.
- Treat Scavenger Hunt: It’s no secret that dogs and cats are motivated by food. Make them feel extra special on Valentine’s Day this year by hiding a handful of their favorite treats around the house so they’ll have yummy surprises throughout the day. This technique is also great for helping pets build confidence because they get a positive reward when they find the treat.
- Toy Filled Stocking: Who says stockings are just for Christmas? Make or buy a heart-shaped stocking and pack it with your pet’s favorite toys and treats. Watching your pet play with new a toy is one of the best experiences, so it’ll be a gift for both of you. Don’t forget to document the opening of the stocking via photos.
- Opt Outdoors: Live somewhere that’s already warm in February? Hop in the car and head to your dog’s favorite trail for the day. Bring along snacks and plenty of water. Maybe even make it a double date by inviting your dog’s favorite canine friend to come along for the adventure.
- Take a Trip to a Pet Retail Store: Does your pet have a favorite store? Take them on a surprise trip and let them sniff their way down the aisles, picking out a few new toys or treats to take home.
- Donate a Valentine’s Day Gift to Local Shelter Pets: If your dog or cat isn’t motivated by new toys or treats, or you don’t have a pet, consider putting together a Valentine’s Day gift for animals at your local shelter. Include a new warm blanket or bed, a catnip-flavored mouse toy for the cats, a bone to chew on for the dogs, and Tomlyn’s Relax and Calm Chews for cats and dogs. Shelters can be a stressful environment for pets, so it’s important to make them feel as comfortable as possible until they are ready to go to their forever home.
If you celebrate Valentine’s Day with your pet in one of these ways, share on social media by using the hashtag #LoveIsInTheAir or #TomlynLovesPets.
Tomlyn, founded in 1976, carries a complete line of scientifically developed, veterinarian-approved animal health products. The company’s wide selection of product categories include immune support, vitamins, digestive support and hairball remedies,joint and hip support, calming aids and sanitizers.
Tomlyn expanded into the equine and bovine industry in 2017 with the EPIC® line and now the addition of three new Equistro® equine health supplements.