Education is critical because an estimated 50 percent of dogs and cats suffer from (fear, anxiety or stress), yet these conditions are often undiagnosed.
TAMPA, Florida (PRNewswire) — The summer months can be a difficult time for pets due to loud noises like fireworks and thunder that can trigger dogs and cats affected by noise aversion.
Kristen Levine Pet Living, a popular online resource for pet parents, today announced the official kick off of the third-annual Pet Anxiety Awareness campaign (PAAW) will begin on June 2.
This observance was created by nationally-known pet lifestyle expert, Kristen Levine, to raise awareness about recognizing the symptoms of fear, anxiety and stress (FAS) in dogs and cats and to encourage pet parents to speak to their veterinarian about how to get their pets relief.
Education is critical because an estimated 50 percent of dogs and cats suffer from FAS, yet these conditions are often undiagnosed.
“Pet owners commonly think that FAS symptoms are related to a behavior problem, not a medical problem,” explained Levine. “As a result, conversations with the veterinarian may not be happening, and, therefore, pets may not be getting treatment or recommendations to relieve their stress.”
According to a Harris Poll, as many as 67 percent of all dogs in the US suffer from one or more signs of noise aversion according to a recent study.
SILEO® (dexmedetomidine oromucosal gel), distributed in the United States by Zoetis, is the first FDA-approved treatment for dogs that suffer from noise aversion. A returning PAAW sponsor, SILEO is a prescription medication that can be administered at home and is effective in calming dogs without sedation, unlike many other veterinary prescribed treatments. This allows your dog to interact normally with the family. SILEO is only approved for use in dogs.
“Thanks to our sponsors and supporters last year, PAAW helped nearly 5,000 pet parents find practical solutions to calm pets,” said Levine. “Due to our success the past two years, this year’s awareness event will be observed throughout the entire month of June to reach more pet parents leading up to the Fourth of July — a time when many pets suffer from holiday related FAS.”
In addition to SILEO, PAAW also enjoys support from the following select pet brands that offer product solutions that help calm and comfort pets with FAS:
- Tomlyn® Relax & Calm for dogs and cats, a tasty chew that can help pets cope with stressful situations like thunderstorms, fireworks, veterinary visits, boarding, traveling, new environments, loud noises, vacations, kenneling, introduction of new animals, changes at home, visitors, being home alone and more.
- Zylkene® by Vetoquinol USA, a behavior supplement for dogs and cats that helps pets relax without causing sedation or drowsiness. Zylkene comes in three strengths to provide flexible dosing depending on a cat or dog’s size and is ideal for helping pets cope with short-term or long-term stressors.
- ElleVet™ Sciences, full-spectrum cannabinoid based soft chews and oil products that alleviate stress and anxiety in dogs or cats.
DOGTV and Fear Free will also be part of the Pet Anxiety Awareness Campaign.
- DOGTV, a 24/7 digital TV channel with dog-friendly programing scientifically developed to provide the right company for dogs when left alone, was created to help reduce stress, separation anxiety or other related problems.
- Fear Free is an initiative founded by “America’s Veterinarian,” Dr. Marty Becker, to get pets back for veterinary visits by promoting considerate approach and gentle control techniques used in calming environments. Since 2016, Fear Free provides online and in-person education to veterinary professionals, the pet professional community and pet owners.
For more information about PAAW, visit the PAAW page. You can also follow Kristen Levine Pet Living on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter.
- The Harris Poll: Custom Motion Sickness and Noise Aversion Omnibus Pet Owner Quantitative Research Report, December 2018