The 2021 Pet Care Innovation Prize Winners are (and, while all are good news, we believe pets will be particularly happy about the fourth one):
- Denver, Colorado-based ClueJay
- An online diagnostic platform that allows pet parents to access lab tests on demand from the comfort and safety of home. Dog and cat owners can collect and mail stool (fecal) samples for parasite screening without the hassle and stress of vet visits.
- Eden Prairie, Minnesota-based Kitty Sift
- A convenient, healthy, and sustainable alternative to the plastic litter box. Made from 100% post-consumer recycled cardboard, Kitty Sift’s disposable sifting litter boxes and liners enable pet owners to ditch plastic alternatives for a more sanitary, eco-friendly solution.
- Austin, Texas-based A Pup Above
- Makes fresh dog food that is cooked sous-vide, a cooking method that makes meat extra tender and moist while also preserving nutrients. Made with 100% human-grade ingredients that are fully traceable back to the source.
- Chicago, Illinois-based Mella Pet Care
- Builds accessible technology and diagnostic products for veterinarians and pet parents to better understand and track pet health to help their pets live longer, healthier lives. Co-created with veterinarians, Mella Pet Care is launching the first smart axillary thermometer, which measures temperature under the foreleg rather than rectally.
- Florida-based VetGuardian
- The only zero touch remote telemonitor for veterinarians, the device continuously gathers a patient’s vitals like pulse, temperature, and respiration rate from up to five feet away without the need for wires or physical contact—eliminating unnecessary stress to animals.
More than 100 companies from 43 cities globally applied for the 2021 Pet Care Innovation Prize.
As winners, each of the five startups will receive $10,000, mentorship from the Pet Care Innovation team and will participate in a virtual accelerator boot camp featuring pet experts from across Purina and the industry that is tailored to meet their business needs.
During a culminating (virtual) pitch competition in March, the five winners will get the chance to present their businesses to an audience of industry influencers and investors, and a grand prize winner will be chosen to receive an additional $10,000 in cash and an opportunity to partner with Purina on a project.
The Pet Care Innovation Prize is a collaborative effort of Purina’s 9 Square Ventures group and investing leaders Active Capital to support and connect with early stage pet care startups that are currently in market with an innovative business addressing pet and pet owner needs in the areas of pet health and wellness, services, technology, and food, treats or litter.
For more information, visit https://petcareinnovation.net/
SOURCE: Purina press release